Most travelers know the feeling of a pit in your stomach, beads of sweat on your forehead, and noodles for brains when all of a sudden you realize you just missed the last bus, or you left your passport somewhere, or you left your iPhone charging back at your hotel…two days ago. We have all experienced the blunders of travel that we have come to accept as part of the game, probably even part of the challenge that makes travel so interesting. While we love conquering a good obstacle, or finally finding yourself after hours of driving in circles; however, there are much better ways to catch your trills. Costa Rica Adventure Tours offer high speeds zipping through the forest treetops, rushing rapids, and even snorkeling reefs with sharks and rays. The possibilities for pushing your adrenalin to the max are definitely available for the adventure travel enthusiast in you. Check out some of the top five adventure activities below to be sure to get your heart pounding.
1. White water rafting can be experienced at all intensities for all different skill levels, young children and families, or even rushing falls for those looking to stare danger in the face and conquer it. With class II rapids all the way up to class V, Costa Rica offers world renown white water rapids located in the heart of the jungle with a beautiful backdrop of lush green scenery and local wild life viewing, if your eyes are fast enough to catch it as you blast down the river. Some daring rivers to check out include Sarapiqui, Corobici, Reventazon, and Rios Pacuare. The risk taker in you will love the heart pounding energy you encounter as you and your team paddle together to avoid being thrown into the relatively cold and equally refreshing waters.
2. Zip lining at lightning speeds high above the treetops is another adventure not for the faint at heart. Canopy tours are an amazing way to view nature, and explore the tropical forests while soaring great heights and reaching top speeds. Most tours involve a little bit of hiking so you can also explore the jungle by foot. After you conquer a couple of zip lines, the remainders get really easy. The first few however are incredibly thrillingso high in the trees, and you just take a big running leap off the deck and fly through the leaves. Monteverde’s Cloud Forest is a special exception offering some of the tallest and fastest zip lines around. You literally jump off the deck into clouds since you are so high in the air. Once your feet leave the balcony you zoom into misty clouds and you can slowly see the treetops coming into view as you make your descent. A fun way to enjoy some thrills suitable all ages older then five. The canopy tours are located all around Costa Rica so you can experience this adventure in most places you will visit.
3. No adventure travel in Costa Rica is complete without visiting the underwater playground that both the Pacific and Atlantic side have to offer. Underwater exploration is suitable for anyone who is comfortable in the water, and can be an amazing way to get up close to some of the most beautiful and colorful fish and coral you could ever imagine. The rainy season in Costa Rica tends to muddy the waters a bit, and even then, the Caribbean side can still be breathtaking. Great Caribbean reef snorkeling locations include Isla Uvita and Manzanillo, both close to the Panamanian boarder. You may even be lucky enough to view nurse sharks, spotted rays, lion fish, puffer fish, and tons of radiant coral. The Pacific side offers the Catalina Islands, Isla del Cano, and Bat Island. If you are really looking to get your blood pumping you can also take a boat tour to Isla Del Coco, which is the ultimate in diving and snorkeling in Costa Rica. Swimming with large manta rays, white tip sharks, moray eels, and tons of varieties of fish and coral. This is no easy trek but is a fantastic adventure to be experienced while exploring this tropical paradise.
4. Other fast paced Costa Rica Adventure Tours also include ATV riding, and motorcycle tours. It is the perfect way to visit remote villages, hidden waterfalls, secret beach spots, and some of the best views of tropical rainforests. Whether you are an experienced rider or you are trying four wheeling for the first time, you will be sure to have a great time. The best time to go out and push the limits on four wheels is during rainy season. Slipping and sliding while hitting top speeds following in the muddy tracks of your tour guide will leave your tires flinging mud as you race through the jungle. Even if you are a little scared at first, about twenty minutes into the tour you will be racing through the jungle enjoying the awesome views around you.
5. No Costa Rica adventure list would be complete without including surfing in the line up. Even beginners will feel a rush as they catch their first ride cruising towards the shoreline. The more experienced you are you can check out some of the famous beach breaks that Costa Rica has to offer including Playa Hermosa, Playa Grande, and the longest waves in the world found at Pavones. Other famous destination surf spots include Witches Rock, Ollies Point, and Salsa Brava. With over a thousand amazing locations offering great waves, the thrill-seeking adventurer in you will be doing backflips with excitement.
Adventure travel is a great way to revive the kid in you that the 9-5 office hours back home have long put to rest. There is nothing like fresh air and an abundance of sunshine to finally be able to relax and unwind on vacation. The different activities to be experienced in Costa Rica are endless, and many of which, will leave you with memories to last a lifetime. Grab a waterproof camera, and a dry bag and you are ready to experience the thrills of a lifetime. When you aren’t reaching top speeds or soaring above the trees you can also relax and enjoy a book in a hammock, walk the shorelines, or simply sink your toes into the sand and truly embrace all that Costa Rica has to offer.